Kanye West Wins big at Grammys..

Go down

Kanye West Wins big at Grammys..

Post  dame on Mon Feb 11 2008, 12:24

While Kanye West lost out to Herbie Hancock for Album of the Year, Ye, famous for his poor-sport rantings had little to gripe about at last night's Grammys.

The Louis Vuitton Don took home four statues including Best Rap Album, Best Rap Solo Performance for "Stronger," Best Rap Song for "Good Life," and Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group for the collabo with Common, "Southside."

Between the acceptance of his awards and his stirring performance of "Hey Mamma," a tribute to his late mother Donda West, Ye was a regular to the Grammy stage.

While West went home with many awards, the night clearly belonged to Amy Winehouse. However, Winehouse didn't actually make it to the awards ceremony because she was denied a visa. Her presence was still felt as she performed live via satellite from Riverside Studios in London.

Winehouse was the night's biggest winner, taking home five awards. Her breakthrough single "Rehab" won Record of the Year, Song of the Year and best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Meanwhile, the pop/soul singer is currently kicking a habit with a stint in rehab. The soul songstress also won Best New Artist and took home Best Pop Vocal Album for Back to Black.

Kanye and Amy were both nominated for Album of the Year but lost out in a shocker to Herbie Hancock for River: The Joni Letters.

Also nominated for Best Rap Album were Common's Finding Forever, Jay-Z's Kingdon Come, Nas' Hip Hop Is Dead, and T.I.'s T.I. vs T.I.P.

For Best Rap Solo Performance, Ye beat out Common, for "The People," 50 Cent for "I Get Money," Jay-Z for "Show Me What You Got," and T.I. for "Big Things Poppin' (Do It)."

Also up for the Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group were Fat Joe Featuring Lil Wayne with "Make It Rain," Shop Boyz for "Party Like a Rock Star," UGK Featuring OutKast with "Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)" and Kanye, Nas and KRS-One for "Better Than I've Ever Been."

For the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, Rihanna and Jay-Z took home the Grammy for the hit "Umbrella." "I Wanna Love You," by Akon Featuring Snoop Dogg, "Kiss Kiss" by Chris Brown and T-Pain, Keyshia Cole Featuring Missy Elliott and Lil' Kim's "Let It Go," and Kanye and T-Pain's "Good Life" all fell short.

On the R&B side, Alicia Keys won over Mary J. for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. Keys' monster hit "No One" beat out Fantasia's 'When I See You," Chrisette Michele's "If I Have My Way," Jill Scott's "Hate On Me," and Blige's "Just Fine."

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance went to Prince for "Future Baby Mama," while Raheem DeVaughn's "Woman," Musiq Soulchild's "B.U.D.D.Y.," Ne-Yo's "Because of You," and Tank's "Please Don't Go" were also up for the award.

Chaka Khan took the Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals category for her song "Disrespectful" featuring Mary J. Blige. The collabo beat out contenders R. Kelly featuring Usher, Rihanna featuring Ne-Yo, Angie Stone featuring Betty Wright and T-Pain featuring Akon.

And in other Grammy news, Presidential hopeful Barack Obama won Best Spoken Word Album for the aduio version of his book The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts On Reclaiming The American Dream. The Democratic Senator beat out ex-Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter who were also nominated for the catagory along with Maya Angelou and Alan Alda.

Credit to Sohh.com

dame

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum